Skip to main content

Brief 4: Plagiarism and Fabrication

Plagiarism: Often Accidental, Never Good.

Plagiarism is something. It's an awful, terrible, no-good something that everyone deals with at least once in their life, especially college students. As I'm about to demonstrate, plagiarism is the act of stealing someone else's work or ideas and passing them off as your own. I, of course, came up with that definition myself and definitely didn't steal those words from anyone or anything else as the image below will prove.
I totally stole that definition from Google.
On a much more critical scale, stealing other's work and claiming it as your own is a very big deal. It leads to a lot of trouble for everyone involved. University students who are accused of plagiarism essentially go through a courtroom-esque trial with members of the school board to defend themselves. Sadly in the case of plagiarism, it seems as if the defendant is guilty until proven innocent.

I have a pretty extensive list of encounters with plagiarism, but I'll quickly discuss two of them. Firstly in Comp. II my second semester here at SAU, I completely forgot to put a citation page after writing a film review in which I included statistics about particular actors in the film. Even though I didn't think it was a very big deal after the fact, I understand the importance of knowing where questionable information comes from.

My second run-in with plagiarism comes from my roommate my Freshman year. My roommate, James, was involved in a history project that was done as a group assignment, four people in particular. Each individual on the assignment had a particular segment of a paper to write for the project and one of the individuals had plagiarized some of their segment of the paper. This resulted in every member of the group to be questioned and punished, including James, who was afraid he would not be able to graduate due to the plagiarism issue. Luckily, he got off with a slap-on the wrist and graduated while the real culprit was dealt with.

Most of the time, we don't think about plagiarism. We're often used to being believed. When I state a fact somewhere, whether it be person-to-person, online, or in a paper, I've already done the research I've needed to and I wouldn't say it if it wasn't true. However, other's words that I've read into may creep into my vocabulary. It's like being around your friends; their lingo begins to become yours.

When thinking of plagiarism, other than school papers, I tend to think of music and how often artists can imitate one another. The parody laws make things difficult for lawsuits, such as Weird Al Yankovic's illustrious career of parodying popular songs with very little friction. Johnny Cash was
involved in a lawsuit when his song 'Folsom Prison Blues' mimicked Gordon Jenkins' song 'Crescent City Blues'.

One last thing I'd like to touch on is 'subconscious plagiarism', when you plagiarize without the intent of plagiarizing. This is a big issue as you're essentially incriminating yourself during your defense as for subconscious plagiarism to occur, you must have interacted or seen the thing you are accused of copying. Helen Keller was found to had subconsciously plagiarized one of her stories. It's a lose-lose situation really.

Just be careful, folks. Be mindful and post those links!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Brief 7: Exploiting a News Story

Movies and taking advantage of news and popular culture. Movies are one of my favorite things. They allow for unique stories to be told in interesting ways. Major franchises and public domain titles can be told differently with new direction behind the camera, allowing for major changes in the exact same concept of film. I consider myself a big film critic; my standards for movies are very high thanks to the contributions of brilliant directors such as Quentin Tarantino, Martin Scorsese, Steven Spielberg, Stanley Kubrick, and countless others. As someone who watches a lot of movies, you begin to notice a certain trend with how movies are produced and how the popularity of certain news stories and popular cultures can affect the film industry . There are a lot of criteria in which I deem a movie not worth my time or just plain bad, one of which being if it's a pointless movie or a senseless cash-grab. The thing about movies though is that they take years to create and prod...

Brief 8: Misinformation and Fact-Checking

Overburdened with Embarrassment: The Importance of Fact-Checking. No doubt that journalism and reporting is one of the most important aspects of our lives. It's how we get our news from across the globe. How we are informed is the basis for forming our own opinions on political and social issues. What if we were informed of wrong information? It happens all of the time ! In part thanks to the growing popularity and use of social media as a news platform, misinformed news is only becoming more constant. One of the most popular brands of misinformation is election and political misinformation . There are multiple sides to this issue that reverberates the base issue of being misinformed, such as believing everything you read on the internet and rumors spreading rapidly. Some people still believe that Barack Obama wasn't born in the United States . This rumor began circulating as an email chain and internet meme that gained ground onto the political spectrum, appearing on ...

Brief 3: Advertising Ethics

False Advertising and Other Fine Hobbies. Advertisements are everywhere. They line the walls in supermarkets and bus stop benches. Television advertisements play for nearly ten minutes in gaps between television show segments, so would you believe that cable television had so few commercials in the past that it was feared that TV would be  taken over  by advertisers? It feels like all of these blog posts are connected in some way or another. Just like in cable news bias, you have to worry about what version of the truth you're getting when it comes to advertisements. Will this juice from the nectar of an extinct fruit only indigenous to three trees in the African savanna really increase my IQ by 6.2 points? "You're our 1,000,000th visitor! Click here for $1000!" What markets do you find false advertising and a lack of ethics? My mind wanders directly towards the video game industry. If you check the dictionary under 'empty promises', you'll fi...